Misunderstanding baby’s behavior causes mothers to add formula, begin solids prematurely or abandon breastfeeding altogether.
Research confirms that HUG Your Baby can help WIC professionals give evidence-based information about normal child development (birth to one year) in order to: promote breastfeeding duration, boosts parent confidence and enhance parent-child interaction.
Clinical Lactation (2018). 9(3), 108-116 article
138 WIC Peer counselors completed HUG Your Baby’s Roadmap to Breastfeeding Success two-hour online course. Study participants demonstrated an:
- 57%-90% increase from pre- to post-test scores on knowledge of baby’s behavior
- 58%-100% increase from before- to after-course intention to teach mothers about child development
- 80-100% increase from before- to after-course confidence to teach parents
Resources for WIC Professionals:
- Understanding and Caring for Your Newborn HUG Your Baby video for parents, Roadmap to Breastfeeding Success handout and poster
- Roadmap to Breastfeeding Success online course.
Contact Jan Tedder for fees for your WIC staff training and resources.