You have survived and thrived for the longest and shortest 8 weeks as a new mother. Some days seem to last forever, yet the weeks fly by! Can you remember when you were NOT a mother or a father? YOU and BABY are settling into this new life together.
CLICK here to learn more about your two-month-old
- Begin lifting legs off surface (movement against gravity)
- Begins reciprocal kicking (one leg at a time). But, cannot yet lift both legs toward tummy
- Increasing neck strength and ability to hold head up
- Still has grasp reflex so he can hold on to something but not intensionally let it go. As this reflex leaves baby will enjoy practicing holding and letting go
- Cannot yet reach for a toy but will bat at a hanging toy
- Brings hand to mouth to self soothe herself
- The social smile – Yes, she IS SMILING at YOU!
- Expresses feeling other than crying – frowns, whimpers, wiggles if discontent
- Babbling and cooing.
- Can carry on a “conversation” – cooing while looking at talking parent
Most rapid growth rate from birth to 6 months
- Twice birth weight by 4-5 months
- A brief illness can cause temporary weight loss but “catching up” will soon occur
© HUG Your Baby 2018